Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Where palm trees come from

Saturday night we went to the river, raced kids through the current to the other side, skipped rocks upstream, and laid to dry on the grassy bank. When the sun set only five of us were left listening to music watching the stars come out. That, night thinking back on my past two weeks, I felt I could stay at the park forever.
Six days a week, up at six, return after six, asleep before nine.  I worked with the monkeys in the parque de monos. My favorite part of the day was when we took them on walks to the park, and climbed trees together. The monkeys would stay close at first then leap away to snack on leaves. Then Alejandra and I would chat, laughing when one of them would drop in, clinging to our hair like branches. Alejandra is a vet in training, to help her is to walk through each task with careful attention. Always with time to stop on the path to check out a bug, or stay up in the trees longer to give the monkeys more time to play.
Now I'm back in a land with electricity and internet, the park feels like a secret garden. . .jungle. Amy thank you so much for highlighting the jungle and putting Bolivia on my map.

No comments:

Post a Comment