Saturday, October 25, 2014

Potosí

A late night bus took me to Potosí. From too many stories of stolen luggage I’m in the habit of bringing my luggage onboard, and buying the window seat so i don’t inconvenience my neighbor by barricading the isle. Though even bringing mochi(mi mochilla) onboard and down the isle is an eye attracting endeavor. Luckily I was placed next to Christian, who sacrificed some of his leg room for me and mochi, and we talked about cognitive linguistic theories and life for the three hour ride. 
Once in Potosi we went straight to the Koala Den, a wonderful, almost treehouse tucked into the colonial streets. Christians found old friends in the common room, and we all talked about going to the mines the next day. Potosi is the highest, once was the richest city, in the world. Visiting the caves is to enter the shadow left behind from the glory days. Saturday morning we turned on headlamps hunched over and entered the mines of the mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment